Monday 4 June 2012

Lichens: the idea behind



Last autumn I started a visual note book, I was looking for patterns and textures in Nature. During my research I came a cross with Lichens. I was fascinated from the beginning, they are not just beautiful to look, moreover they are a vital part in our environment. They can be used as environmental indicators, they don't damage the trees, and they are used in toothpaste and deodorants.


I love hill walking. Usually in our walks, we carry a camera to take picture of the landscapes. Since last autumn I started taking pictures of Lichens. "Lichens" installation has been inspired for those pictures from around Ireland.

Lichen found on a stone bridge in Wicklow mountains.


Lichen found on a stone wall in Aran Islands


Lichen found on a branch in Ardgillan Castle.


Lichen found on a tree bark in Wicklow mountains.


Lichen found on a stone wall in Wicklow Mountains


Lichen found on a tree bark in Dublin.



To achieve these effects I used shibori, nuno and others surface embellishment techniques. If you are interested in shibori techniques, I will sugest you Filz experiment from Anette Quentin-Stoll.



3 comments:

  1. Waouuuu .... !!! génial !!! je veux les mêmes !

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are so imaginative! lichen really inspires me, too :)

    ReplyDelete